Odorous House Ants: For Ant Control Call Royal Pest in DE, PA, MD and NJ
Color: Brown or black.
Other: Antennae; they fly; winged swarmers
Gives off a strong, rotten coconut-like smell it gives off when crushed.
Why they are a problem:
- Odorous house ants like to eat sweets, especially sugar and melon.
- They will eat almost anything, including fruit, meats and cheese
- They LOVE pet food
- They can contaminate food sources that they infest
- Typically live for several years
- They can live inside; attracted to moisture
- They can make their homes in exposed soil and wall voids
- Also are often found in house plants and found in bathrooms
- These ants do not pose a public health risk
Finding the SOLUTION:
- ELIMINATE ANY STANDING WATER OR SOURCES OF MOISTURE: Pests such as odorous house ants are attracted to moisture. CHECK WOOD AROUND DOORS AND DOWNSPOUTS
- KEEP WOOD DRY; REPLACE ROTTED WOOD: Pests get easy entry through wet wood
- DO NOT LEAVE PET FOOD OUT IN PETS BOWL. SEAL STORED PET FOOD IN PLASTIC CONTAINER
- KEEP TREE BRANCHES AND OTHER PLANTS CUT BACK FROM THE HOUSE. Pests can use these branches to get into your home.
- INSPECT YOUR HOME AND ELIMINATE ENTRY POINTS: They come in through cracks around doors, windows, or through holes for wires. They will also crawl along overhead wires, shrubs, or tree limbs that touch the building far above the ground.
- REMOVE ANY OLD, ROTTED WOOD OR STACKS OF WOOD: Make sure that firewood and building materials are not stored next to your home. Pests like to build nests in stacks of wood.